Thursday, March 26, 2015

Miniatures. Actual miniatures. In a miniatures blog. Whatever next?


I have been insanely sick with flu this past month, and it is really grinding everything to a halt re: hobbies.  Work and sleep are pretty much it at the moment.  But one thing did happen tonight that was nice.  I got the good camera back.

So though nothing here is recent, the photos are now quality and finely detailed.  You know.  Like finecast.  (cough, cough)

90's Plastic warrior.  Shit just got shit yo.

So first up in my quick photo session tonight between pixel pushing and dying by degrees, is a classic 90's chaos warrior.  After the wonders of the drastic plastic orcs, psychostyrene dwarves and ultra classic skeleton warriors boxed set and purely brilliant plastic space marine box, citadel did a shit stained backwards slide into the single posed dross of the 90's.

No wonder I left the hobby to have lots of sex with goth chicks.

I went with a quick Mike McVey-esque style paint job (painted on crackles and smooth blendin')- Rodney Matthews color scheme and finished it off with a John Blanche style graphic pen attack.  Hate must be written on knuckles.  It must.

The base is also worth noting.  Based on the AD&D battlesystem pictures, the base is made from mounting board card.  You often find old school minis glued to cardboard, and prior to slotta bases this was pretty standard practice.  Beer mats, by the way, where the best material as they are designed not to warp!  I had a theory you could turn it to rock hard plastic instead of freying paper shite by soaking it with superglue.  You can.  It also lets you sand the edges to smooth, plastic like finish.  There see?  No more excuses for not basing that irregular sized mini up.


Minotaur Lord.  Citadel 1980s.
On the day I first bought miniatures, this was one of the chosen.  Sadly, my original is gone, so it was a joy to get my hands on a second copy and do him justice.  The base needs work.  It is merely a poker chip with grit and cork stucketh upon yonder surface.  Mid green and highlight missing.

And to finish up a picture of my mostly done Ral Parth storm giant.  A classic Tom Meier sculpt if I am not mistaken.  Somehow, my money is on the Gypsy.

Ral Partha Storm Giant VS. Citadel Talisman Gypsy
Blending!  Blending!  Yarrrr!

Well, a productive break considering I have not picked up a brush in ages.

Enjoy peoples.

Seriously.  You can enjoy peoples.  I recommend the danish.


18 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff! I especially like the chaos warrior with "Hate on his knuckles". :) I might have to give that a try. Or get one and paint Bo and Luke on each hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the minotaur looks brilliant. Loved that model ever since I first saw it. Nice purple on the storm giant as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Wet on wet. Works lovely on big spaces!

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, that storm giant is tremendous, as is the minotaur and gypsy. I use mounting card to add layers to bases off and on, a higher area of ground, river edge etc. I give it a coat of PVA to seal it and then add greenstuff, gravel etc to taste. Never considered making the whole thing out of it. Superglue you say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to leave out the warrior, he cool too. I have so many of these apparently indestructible single piece plastics.

      Delete
    2. Not quite industructible. A regular hammer works really, really well. Warhammer less so.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work, love the blending on the purple :)

    Hope you get well soon, my family are just coming around from a visit from Papa Nurgle.

    Now just to get the funk out of my head and get something painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nurgling in my throat needs to roll a critical fail, or I am going to get Sigmar on it's ass soon.

      Delete
  5. "Shit just got shit yo" <-- love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think I would be a funny scriptwriter, but apparently I am terrible.

      Delete
  6. Very nice work. I love the minotaur most of all.

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic minis painted well, what is not to like. This should shift the mojo into gear. Camera work will show up all your faults, hope as an artist you are not like my wife and crave perfection or we will never see the toys on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, good point. Where is the vaseline... I need to make it blurrrrrrry.

      Delete
  8. Great minotaur, and I loooove that smooth blending on the giant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BLENDING!

      Ahem. Excuse me. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Those are awesome! I'm really curious about that mossy texture on the plastiwarrior's base. How do you achieve that? Baking soda and superglue? Your insight is much appreciated.

    (As a side note, I've found you can also turn sewing thread rock-hard using superglue. I use it for 'rigging' banners...mighty handy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is flock, attached with matt modgepodge glue.
      I mix up a few flocks to give a more natural feel.
      This flock is finely shredded sponge, not sawdust.

      I use cool dark green paint ( tube paint hookers green) with a warmer lighter green flock- giving natural highlights and shadows.

      Delete